For some time, Fiware project became into reality. Today, five years later, Fiware continues to grow much more than the originally designed platform. It all started when a group of Public and Private Companies counted on the support of the European Commission. And now a huge community of developers, start-ups and Small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) have joined together to achieve the Fiware Mission.
What is this Fiware Mission? According to its own website: To build an open, sustainable ecosystem around public, royalty-free and implementation-driven software platform standards that ease the development of new Smart Applications in multiple sectors.
Fiware continues its expansion
The next step was to industrialise, globalise and commercialise it! On October 28th, 2016, the Fiware Foundation was registered in Berlin. The Fiware Foundation was necessary to help achieving the FIWARE mission by promoting, augmenting, protecting, and validating the FIWARE technologies as well as the activities of the FIWARE community.
To get the point, Fiware have played an important role in building the Digital Single Market. How?Bringing down barriers to unlock online opportunities for citizens. And it was made possible by the key targets vertical: Smart Cities, Smart Agrifood and Industry 4.0 where context information, IoT, Open Data and standardisation make the real difference.
To sum up, the advantages of using Fiware are:
- Test environment suitable for SMEs reducing costs.
- To ensure a large scale validation of new technologies (GEs) and services as well as access to specialized and/or diverse resources.
- It enables competitive testing by offering various nodes, networks at different locations that SMEs can select, e.g. datacenters, wireless network, sensor network.
- To provide a suitable environment for the implementation of new services, applications, protocols and solutions.
- It provides solutions to localise data storage, compliant to local legal constrain.
The first meeting for the Fiware Family
Fiware continues to expand the creation of a huge community last December. The 1st Fiware Summit took place in Málaga (Spain) from the 13th to 15th December 2016, to celebrate and share our common objectives. 300 delegates from 18 different countries attended more than 50 different sessions, combining business tracks with technical trainings. And Secmotic Innovation was there!
Our CEO, José Benitez gave a talk about Developing an IoT system with FIWARE from the scratch. One more proof of the commitment that this company has with the development of this technology. This is the beginning, we hope that it lasts much longer and we can continue working on this exciting project.